Today' Focus

        Apple never fails to surprise its consumers and woo them with uniquely featured products. Following the legacy, it has recently unveiled a new line of MacBook Air laptops made out of 100 per cent recycled aluminium. Therefore, the weight of the devic...

International News

    USW applies pressure as deadline on Quebec aluminum smelter lockout nears

  • China Aluminium Network
  • Post Time: 2018/12/4
  • Click Amount: 73

    Louisville, Kentucky — With the clock ticking to a Friday deadline, the Canadian United Steelworkers union ramped up pressure on Alcoa on Wednesday in hopes of reaching a negotiated solution to a more than 10-month lockout at the 450,000 mt/year Aluminerie de Becancour aluminum smelter in Quebec.

    ABI has been allowed to invoke a force majeure clause in its power supply contract with the government-owned utility to suspend its contractual obligations since Alcoa imposed the lockout affecting 1,030 union employees on January 11.

    Alcoa owns 75% of the smelter, with Rio Tinto owning the remaining 25%.

    Bargaining continued Wednesday with the assistance of a special mediator.

    However, if a tentative agreement is not reached by the end of the day Friday, the Quebec government is expected to present a proposed settlement to both the union and companies by December 7.

    The USW says the government can only ask for approval of such a proposal, but lacks the legal authority to impose a new contract on the parties.

    Source: https://www.spglobal.com
      Copyright and Exemption Declaration :①All articles, pictures and videos that are marked with "China Aluminum Network" on this website are copyright and belong to China Aluminium Network (www.alu.com.cn). When transshipment, any media, website or individual must list the source from "China Aluminium Network (www.alu.com.cn)". We seek legal actions against anyone that disobey this. ②Articles that marked as copy from others are for transferring more information to readers, do not represent or endorse their opinions or accuracy and reliability. When other media, website or individuals copy from our website, must keep the source. Anyone that changes the articles' sources will hold the responsibilities for copyright and law problems. We also seek legal actions against anyone that disobey this. ③If any articles copied by our website concern the copyright and other problems, please contact us within one week.